…gave Netflix and Spotify the ability to read Facebook users’ private messages.
Still using Facebook? I’m no longer surprised by the ongoing stream of revelations. You are the product but you can free yourself by simply not using it. Uninstall the FB app from your phone, uninstall FB messenger and move to free and open sourcing call communication/messaging alternatives like Signal (on their website they have a quote from Edward Snowden “Use anything by Open Whisper Systems”).
If FB is too integral a tool for you to stay in touch with colleagues, friends and businesses consider employing an industrial strength ad-blocker like Adguard (Android/iPhone, Windows/IOS) coupled with a brilliant tool like Social Fixer for Facebook. Social Fixer is an incredibly powerful browser extension with support for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Edge (in the pipeline), Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey. It simply plugs into your browser and improves the existing Facebook.com web site allowing you to
- Filter Your News Feed
- Hide Sponsored Stories
- Remove Politics
- Hide Politics!
- Filter your news feed by keyword, author, and more
- Hide Sponsored Posts, Politics, Spoilers, etc.
- Friend Manager notifies you when you’ve been unfriended
- Tabbed news feed organizes posts by games, apps, author
- Hide parts of the page you don’t want to see
- Don’t show posts again once you’ve read
- Auto-switch to the Most Recent news feed
- And much more! See the List of Features.
New York Times source and read more at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/technology/facebook-privacy.html
Socialfixer feature list from https://socialfixer.com